Saturday, January 17, 2015

Rush City v3.1 Part II

Benchwork is done, and the old Rush City is half demolished. I've got part of it carved up to become Rock Creek, a signature photo op on the Skally. That will also be my new photo module for engine projects.  Here is me mocking up the Rock Creek bridge over Hwy 361. The jig saw would tear the old Rush City module up a few minutes later.
I've got the main line and track H1 (the passing siding) laid out. Most of the sub road bed is down and I just received my shipment of PCB ties from American Tie & Timber. Here are the new Rush City modules getting cork and more layout marks.
Here's what the benchwork looks like under each half. I added the curved pieces to give me more backing for the facia.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Rush City v3.1

Well, I made a discovery that affected the design of the new Rush City modules. I'm glad I caught it before I built the benchwork. It turns out I had less space to work with that I though, so to make everything fit I needed to shorten Rush City 6 inches (12 feet is still pretty good for one LDE). No big deal as one end was void of anything major. I edited the plans and foraged on. Temps are back into the low 60's during the day, so I'll get more new module pics tomorrow. I also started to clean off the old Rush modules, as I have made progress on the Rock Creek bridge, and it will need a home soon.

Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Years!

I've managed to take advantage of the time off over the holidays to run back over to the Skally. The lighting was a little harsh, but I managed to grab a couple pics of the newest addition to the Skally Line. I present... SCXY SD40M-2 #1325!
I'll get more pics once I have some better light. The former DRGW SD45 was recently painted by the WSOR shops in Horicon, WI. It does have a few differences from the 1326. These will be an awesome pulling pair!
After grabbing my shots of the SCXY, I headed back in time to shoot the Hinckley Subdivision back in 1993. EMDX SD60s were common place on the BN. EMDX 9026 happened to be leading a coal drag this day in history.
This was an Atlas SD60 that started out as a BN unit. My friend HK stripped the paint off and passed it on to me. I gave it my normal detailing, matching things up to the prototype shots I had.
All this one is going to take is a decoder installation and it will be ready to go.
My next couple of posts should be looking at the revisions to the Skally Line modules. The new Rush City benchwork is done (now version 3.1) and I will be beginning the deconstruction of Rush City v.2 as I need those modules for Rock Creek and the South end of Hinckley.