Sunday, August 4, 2013

Hinckley Pt. 1 Cleaning out the garage

The town of Hinckley, MN has a major purpose for the Skally Line. Hinckley is the place where the SCXY interchanges with the BNSF. Cars for the Skally are picked up or dropped of by BNSF's Hinckley Local or by trains heading from Northtown Yard to Superior, WI or back (NTWSUP or SUPNTW). for operations on my Skally Line to work, I have to model Hinckley.

Yesterday my wife decided to clean the house, so like a good husband, I headed to the garage. I decided to clean and take inventory of materials and supplies. By some odd calculation, I had enough stuff sitting there to get a good start on the first two Hinckley modules (at least two more will be needed to finish the scene. Here is an overall view of the two. The top module will hold the BNSF main and the NSS Hinckley switch as well as the BNSF section house.
The south module is where the Skally line starts. After coming off the BNSF main, it makes a sweeping curve to head south. These are the tightest curves on the Skally Line and they will both be 36" in radius. At the south end is the start of the Skally Line's interchange track, the siding the BNSF uses for pick ups and drop offs. It looks like a patchwork quilt because I was using up pieces of foam left over from other projects (aka: cleaning out the garage).
The North module I re-purposed from another project. After chopping it down to size (I keep my "dominos" at a 6'3" max length) I laid out the new track plan. The BNSF line runs SW to NE at this point. The siding to the left will head north to Lakes Gas and a small BNSF bone yard. The line to the right is the Skally Line (the old BN Amer Subdivision) and the siding on the bottom right is the North end of the BNSF Hinckley siding.
All the switches will be #10s on these modules.

No comments:

Post a Comment