Saturday, March 7, 2015

SOO SD60's

I just finished a pair of Soo SD60s. Soo 6000 and Soo 6021. I built them as they would have looked in 2007. These were a fun build, that I'm glad be wrapping up. I'll let you be the judges of the final product.
I like how the 6000 has mis-matched front number boards, I think it adds some character.
These got the normal run of details, plus a good coat of weathering.
Now I just need to get them safely to Chicago!

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Little Hopper Weathering

While I was finishing a couple of SD60's I had a bunch of wash I made up to weather the engines, so I ran some freight cars through the graffiti shop and then dirtied them up. I just need to paint up some more Fox Valley Wheels to get on them. Soon enough...

Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Rush City V3.2

I did make some progress in laying out the new modules. I printed a copy of the satellite photo to use to get my track alignment as close as I could to the real thing. I realized I had some switches in the wrong place, so I need to order a couple more of the opposite throws before I glue things down.
After the changes there will be over 1 mile of scale track in Rush City. It should make for some fun ops.

Saturday, January 17, 2015

Rush City v3.1 Part II

Benchwork is done, and the old Rush City is half demolished. I've got part of it carved up to become Rock Creek, a signature photo op on the Skally. That will also be my new photo module for engine projects.  Here is me mocking up the Rock Creek bridge over Hwy 361. The jig saw would tear the old Rush City module up a few minutes later.
I've got the main line and track H1 (the passing siding) laid out. Most of the sub road bed is down and I just received my shipment of PCB ties from American Tie & Timber. Here are the new Rush City modules getting cork and more layout marks.
Here's what the benchwork looks like under each half. I added the curved pieces to give me more backing for the facia.

Monday, January 5, 2015

Rush City v3.1

Well, I made a discovery that affected the design of the new Rush City modules. I'm glad I caught it before I built the benchwork. It turns out I had less space to work with that I though, so to make everything fit I needed to shorten Rush City 6 inches (12 feet is still pretty good for one LDE). No big deal as one end was void of anything major. I edited the plans and foraged on. Temps are back into the low 60's during the day, so I'll get more new module pics tomorrow. I also started to clean off the old Rush modules, as I have made progress on the Rock Creek bridge, and it will need a home soon.

Friday, January 2, 2015

Happy New Years!

I've managed to take advantage of the time off over the holidays to run back over to the Skally. The lighting was a little harsh, but I managed to grab a couple pics of the newest addition to the Skally Line. I present... SCXY SD40M-2 #1325!
I'll get more pics once I have some better light. The former DRGW SD45 was recently painted by the WSOR shops in Horicon, WI. It does have a few differences from the 1326. These will be an awesome pulling pair!
After grabbing my shots of the SCXY, I headed back in time to shoot the Hinckley Subdivision back in 1993. EMDX SD60s were common place on the BN. EMDX 9026 happened to be leading a coal drag this day in history.
This was an Atlas SD60 that started out as a BN unit. My friend HK stripped the paint off and passed it on to me. I gave it my normal detailing, matching things up to the prototype shots I had.
All this one is going to take is a decoder installation and it will be ready to go.
My next couple of posts should be looking at the revisions to the Skally Line modules. The new Rush City benchwork is done (now version 3.1) and I will be beginning the deconstruction of Rush City v.2 as I need those modules for Rock Creek and the South end of Hinckley.

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Merry Christmas from the Skally Line!

After catching the CP on the Hinckley Sub., I headed south from Hinckley to catch the Skally at work. Having already dropped cars for interchange they rolled south and SCXY SD40M-2 #1326 was on point. Until the matching 1325 gets delivered, it is partnered with ILSX GP10 #1345. The big EMD looks as good as it sounds!
She's still clean from her trip. After getting repainted by the WSOR shops in Horicon, WI, she stopped by the BNSF shops at NTW for a little work.
This engine started life as an SP SD45, before getting repainted for the UP merger. You can still see the UP cues like the mu cable holders. You can also see the spare knuckle holders on the pilot.
The UP and the SP both liked to have the antenna stands up top. The UP added the GPS dome. You can see the new addition to the Skally scheme, the "Radio Equipped" logos. These are also being added to the SCXY GP's.
In real life I started with a Kato SD45, I had to modify the dynamic brake housing, add all the extra details, the fans, mu hoses and cut levers are Trainworx, the grab irons are BLMA, I also added Sunrise rear ditchlights, the front are from Shapeways. The AC unit is BLMA. The Antenna stand is a modified Kato unit with a Sandro Sinclair. The GPS dome and the mu holders are scratch built from styrene.
The paint is Signal Yellow and Engine Black. I'm glad to have this one in active service now!